Reiki for Depression
"According to the World Health Organization, depression affects approximately 400 million people around the world. When it isn’t properly treated, this condition reduces quality of life for sufferers and can lead to a number of serious consequences. Many different treatments exist for depression.
However, regardless of the treatment methods chosen, patients dealing with the symptoms of depression may experience benefit from participating in Reiki sessions in conjunction with their professional treatment programs and methods.
The Dangers of Depression
Depression is a common condition that causes affected individuals to experience feelings of sadness, guilt, loss of interest in enjoyable activities, appetite disturbances, low self-esteem and sleep issues. It can affect people regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, occupation or any other characteristic. Although depression may occur after someone experiences a trauma, such as a death in the family, loss of a job or a serious illness, it can also appear to occur without an apparent cause.
If left untreated, depression can affect the sufferer’s quality of life, as well as his or her personal relationships. Depression can also affect the individual’s professional life by impairing his or her ability to function while at work. In the worst cases, depression may even result in total disability or death by suicide.
Because it can be so serious, finding effective treatment for depression is essential. So, seeking a qualified professional skilled in therapy, treatment programs, and talking with your physician is the first course of action. Then, in conjunction with working with a professional team and or program, Reiki can help as an adjunct therapy.
Benefits of Reiki for Depressed Clients
Reiki can be beneficial to clients with depression in multiple ways. Some of the benefits of Reiki sessions for depressed clients include:
- Better sense of mental and physical balance. – Reiki may help restore a person’s overall sense of balance, both in the mind and the body. This may help to improve the person’s mood and help him or her to overcome feelings of guilt and/or sadness.
- Reiki is relaxing. – Depression is often accompanied by anxiety. However, Reiki can be relaxing, which may help to combat this anxiety. As the individual’s anxiety is relieved, his or her depression may improve as well.
- Reiki puts the client back in control. – Many people who are depressed feel like they are not in control of their own lives. When a client participates in a Reiki session, he or she is doing something proactive, thus restoring some of the feelings of control.
- Reiki allows the client to connect with another person. – One of the most common symptoms of depression involves withdrawing from friends and family or feeling disconnected from others. Reiki provides depressed clients with the opportunity to connect with a caring, compassionate practitioner, which may improve symptoms.
- Reiki relieves stress. – Stress can contribute to the development of depression, and ongoing stress can also worsen a depressed person’s symptoms. Reiki may help to relieve some of a client’s stress, which may in turn reduce the symptoms of depression.
Several research studies support the use of Reiki for people with depression. Some of these studies are listed below.
- Reiki aids in relaxation.Center for Reiki Research. According to the Center for Reiki Research, Reiki has been shown to reduce sympathetic autonomic stimulation and produce a significant relaxation response among people who had been diagnosed with Burnout Syndrome, a disorder characterized by exhaustion and emotional issues. It is likely that the same relaxation response would be produced among clients with depression.
- Reiki reduces the symptoms of depression.Alternate Therapies in Health and Medicine. In addition, according to a study published in Alternate Therapies in Health and Medicine, patients who received regular Reiki treatments demonstrated a significant reduction in the symptoms of psychological distress and depression. The symptom reduction experienced by these patients continued for one year after the treatment regimen was complete.
- Reiki may reduce postoperative depression.Anecdotal Evidence. Furthermore, anecdotal reports by trained Reiki healer Julie Motz indicate that Reiki can effectively reduce postoperative depression among heart transplant patients. These reports were generated as a result of Ms. Motz’s involvement in multiple heart transplant surgeries with television Dr. Mehmet Oz. Ms. Motz performed Reiki during the transplant procedures and the patients were evaluated for symptoms of postoperative depression during their recovery periods.
Implications for Patients
Based on the research studies detailed above, as well as reports from patients who have experienced benefits from Reiki sessions, it seems that Reiki may be a valuable addition to treatment regimens for patients suffering from depression. However, although Reiki may help to alleviate some of the symptoms of depression, it will be more effective when used in conjunction with traditional therapies. Other treatments that may be beneficial to people who are suffering from depression include cognitive behavioral therapy, psychotherapy and certain medications. Patients with depression may also experience a reduction in symptoms with regular physical activity.
For best results, people experiencing depression should participate in multiple Reiki treatments over an extended period of time. A single treatment may be helpful, but multiple treatments are more likely to result in long-term symptom improvement. If you are experiencing depression be sure to also see a qualified counselor, therapist and/or medical professional to assist with your road to recovery. Reiki can also help on this road." ~
Finding a Practitioner
If you are suffering from depression, you may benefit from Reiki sessions. If you are interested in beginning Reiki treatments contact us or you can booking your treatment on online.